1) Dispense with Andameds or another wholesaler when possible.
2) Avoid using "plans" which inflate & hide prices through PBMs.
3) GoodRx and Blink Health are good free coupon options for using local pharmacies and looking for generic discounts. Medicare patients may want to use this calculator to decide whether part D coverage is worth purchasing.
4) Sometimes small mail order pharmacies are the best option, examples include GenScripts (OK) & Marley Drug (NC)
5) In the rare scenario where generics are NOT an option using NeedyMeds as a source of aggregated ways to obtain discounted medications (often from the manufacturer) for your patients can be helpful. If the patient does not qualify then medical tourism might be an economical option, even the CDC realizes this industry is growing.
6) Vaccinations are often available at low cost from health departments. Some pharmacies (such as Costco) are starting to display pricing.
Labs, Path & Radiology
Surgery / other
There are lots of transparent pricing resources to choose among. Their accuracy and helpfulness often varies by geographic region:
The Source (on Healthcare Price and Competition)
The Wedge of Health Freedom (may be a good way to locate like minded specialist physicians for referral purposes)
Banner Health contains links to internal and external prices
Medicare prices by region can be a reference point as well.
HITECH requires physicians to offer cash pricing to patients that want to keep the information private from their "health plan." This includes Medicare, though the Medicare limiting rates still apply when the patient pays the bill, and the physician is free to offer a rate less than the Medicare amount to any patient. A detailed explanation is included in the Federal Register from pages 5,623 to 5,634. Here is another helpful resource from MGMA.
Surgery Center of Oklahoma (Oklahoma City, OK)
Good Shepherd Health System (Longview, TX)
Ocean Surgery Center (Torrance, CA)
Regency Health (New York NY)
Southwest Orthopedic Associates (Fort Worth, TX)
Many listed as Kempton Premier Providers